WeatherGard Maintenance Guide
The chief motivation for WeatherGard’s commitment to producing stronger, heavier, commercial grade residential replacement windows is a desire to offer a product that lasts like a window should—the way American windows made 80 or 90 years ago have lasted. There’s a sharp contrast between this approach, and that of our competitors, who sell temporary, disposable replacements. Our window isn’t meant to be replaced, it’s designed to be maintained.
- Do not lean out a window to clean exterior glass.
- Do not depend on screen for support. The screen is not designed to prevent you from falling.
- If in doubt, hire a licensed and insured professional window cleaning service.
- Wash the frames and sashes with a soft cloth or a long-handled, soft-bristle brush.
- For common dirt and grime, a solution of mild dish-washing detergent and warm water is ideal.
- Rinse the window with a gentle spray of clean water.
- Do not subject the windows to high-pressure spray.
Common Stain-Removal Techniques
Notice: Do not use cleaners containing aggressive organic solvents as these can degrade the finish. Avoid chlorine bleach, liquid grease remover, nail polish remover, furniture polish and cleaners, and other strong soaps and detergents containing organic solvents.
|Problem Stain||Suggested Cleaning Solution(s)|
|Chewing gum||Fantastik®, Murphy’s Oil Soap®, Windex®, or mixture of 30% vinegar and 70% water|
|Oil-based chalk (DAP)||Fantastik®|
|Felt-tip pen||Fantastik®, most water-based cleaners|
|Grass||Fantastik®, Murphy’s Oil Soap®, Lysol®|
|Lithium grease||Fantastik®, Murphy’s Oil Soap®, Lysol®|
|Motor oil||Fantastik®, Murphy’s Oil Soap®, Lysol®, Windex®|
|Mold, mildew||Fantastik®, mixture of 30% vinegar and 70% water, Windex®|
|Rust||Fantastik®, Murphy’s Oil Soap®, Lysol®|
|Top soil||Fantastik®, Lestoil®, Murphy’s Oil Soap®|
If you have questions not addressed by the instructions given here, please contact us. We rejoice at every opportunity to help customers properly care for their replacement windows—new or old.